How We Do Scar Revisions
Scar revision procedure or injections are done to minimize the scars visibility, hence, having it blend in with the natural skin color and texture. Scars cannot be completely erased, however at MiKO Plastic Surgery, Dr. Michael K.Obeng has several approaches to handling your scars. He will begin by identifying the scar tissue before implementing a treatment:
- Discoloration or surface irregularities: Subtle scars, often caused by, acne, minor injury, and prior surgical procedures. Discoloration or surface irregularities can be removed cosmetically, by injections or other treatments recommended by Dr. Michael K.Obeng.
- Hypertrophic scars: Thick hyperpigmented (darker in color) or hypopigmented (lighter in color) scar tissue that develops directly at a wound site.
- Keloids: Larger than hypertropic scars. These scars commonly develop on areas with little underlying fatty tissue ,such as on the face, neck, ear, chest, and shoulder.
- Contractures: Scars that form on body where there is a large amount of tissue loss, often caused by a major injury, such as a burn. Contractures may restrict the hosts ability to move their fingers, elbow, knees, or neck if the cluster is formed on a joint.
After identifying the scar type, Dr. Michael K.Obeng will perform the necessary treatment:
- Topical treatments: Dr. Michael K.Obeng will use gels, tapes or external compression to treat existing surface scars, irregular pigment, and discoloration.
- Injectable treatments: Dermal fillers can be used to fill concave scars. Depending on the filler injected by Dr.Michael K.Obeng, results may last from three months to several years. Therapy must be repeated to maintain results.
- Surface treatments Dr.Michael K.Obeng will mechanically remove the top layers of skin, changing the nature of tissue. The goal of surface treatments are to soften surface irregularities and reduce uneven pigmentation. These treatment options include:
- Dermabrasion: Polishing of the skin.
- Laser or light therapy: Allow new, healthy skin to form at the scar site.
- Chemical peel solutions Soften irregularities in texture and color.
What Scar Revision Costs
The cost of scar revision treatment varies depending on the patient’s goals and scar type. Please contact us and schedule a consultation with board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Michael K.Obeng. MiKO Plastic Surgery, Beverly Hills will accommodate the most accurate cost estimates for your scar revision needs. If you’re not in the Beverly Hills or Los Angeles area, visit our travel section to arrange a trip to MiKO Plastic Surgery.
The results will be long lasting, however, you will experience several weeks of swelling and discoloration. After the recovery, your scar will blend in with your natural skin color and texture